1. What changes would you suggest in your home in order to be environment-friendly?
ANSWER:-Changes that can be undertaken in our homes to be environment-friendly are:-
*Throw biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste into separate bins.
*Switch off the electrical appliances when not in use.
*Turn the taps off while brushing or bathing and repair the leaking taps.
*Food items such as jam, pickles, etc., come packed in plastic bottles. These bottles can later be used for storing things in the kitchen.
*We should dispose the wastes safely and not disperse in public places.
2. Can you suggest some changes in your school which would make it environment- friendly?
ANSWER:-*Turn the taps off when not in use.
*Electricity can be saved by switching off lights and fans when not required.
*Biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes should be thrown into separate bins.
3. We saw in this chapter that there are four main stakeholders when it comes to forests and wildlife. Which among these should have the authority to decide the management of forest produces? Why do you think so?
ANSWER:-The forest department of the government should have the authority to decide the management of forest produces. This is because the forest department is the care taker of the forest land and is responsible for any damage to the forest.
4. How can you as an individual contribute or make a difference to the management of (a) forests and wildlife, (b) water resources and (c) coal and petroleum?
ANSWER :-( a) Forest and wildlife:
(i) We should protest against the cutting of trees (deforestation).
(ii) We should protest against the poaching of wild animals.
(iii) We should stop the annexation of forest land for our use.
(b) Water resources:
(i) Turn the taps off while brushing or bathing and repair leaking taps.
(ii) We should practice rainwater harvesting.
(iii) We should avoid the discharge of sewage and other wastes into rivers and other water resources.
(c) Coal and petroleum:
(i) We should take a bus or practice car pooling to avoid excessive use of petroleum.
(ii) We should stop using coal as a fuel (angithis).
(iii)We should use alternative sources of energy such as hydro-energy and solar energy
5. What can you as an individual do to reduce your consumption of the various natural resources?
ANSWER:-The ways in which we can reduce the consumption of various natural resources are as follows:
(i) We should stop the cutting of trees (deforestation).
(ii) We should use recycled paper to reduce the cutting down of trees.
(iii) We should not waste water.
(iv) We should practice rainwater harvesting.
(v) We should practice car pooling to avoid the excessive use of petroleum.
(vi) We should use alternative sources of energy such as hydro-energy and solar energy.
7. On the basis of the issues raised in this chapter, what changes would you incorporate in your life-style in a move towards a sustainable use of our resources?
ANSWER :-(i) stop cutting trees and practice plantation of trees.
(ii) Stop using plastic and polythene bags for carrying goods.
(iii) Use recycled paper.
(iv)Throw biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste into separate bins.
(v) Waste minimum amount of water while using and repair leaking taps.
(vi) Practice rainwater harvesting.
(vi) Avoid using vehicles for short distances. Instead, one can walk or cycle to cover short distances. To cover long distances, one should take a bus instead of using personal vehicles.
(vii) Switch off electrical appliances when not in use.
(viii) Use fluorescent tubes in place of bulbs to save electricity.
(ix) Take stairs and avoid using lifts.