A. Read the extracts carefully and answer the questions.
1. “He shrugged his shoulders to convey his disapproval of their shabby appearance.”
a) Who is ‘He’ here?
b) Explain the lines in short.
c) Is he right in his thinking?
2. “Yet in both boyish faces there was a seriousness which was far beyond their years.”
a) Explain the line in short.
b) How old are they?
c) Who is the author of the fiction?
3. “Must you work so hard? You both look rather fired.”
a) When did the speaker say this?
b) Why are they tired?
c) Why do they work hard?
4. “Well”, I said, “We are leaving on Monday. Is there anything I can do for you before we go?”
a) Who is the speaker?
b) Which place did Jacopo say to take them?
c) How long is the place from Verona?
5. “I just brought two small boys here.”
a) Who is the listener?
b) “Which place does the speaker mean by ‘here’?
c) Why did they come here?
6. “And they found here suffering from tuberculosis of the spine.”
a) Who found?
b) Who is suffering from tuberculosis of the spine?
c) Where did ‘they’ go?
B. Answer the following questions in about 30-40 words each.
1) Comment on the justification of the title.
2) How much are the words ‘sacrifice’ and ‘devotion’ important in the story?
3) Describe the virtues of the boys.
4) What did the nurse say about their past?
5) Do you learn something from the story any lesson? Discuss.
6) Why did not the boys share their secret to the author?