A. Read the following extracts and answer the questions.
a) “I am beautiful pearls, plucked from the
crown of Ishtar by the daughter of Down
to embellish the gardens.” (3)
1) Who is Ishtar?
2) Who is daughter of Dawn?
3) Which figures of speech do you find in the first line?
b) “When I cry the hills laugh ;
when I humble myself the flowers rejoice
when I bow all things are elated”. (3)
1) Give an example of Anaphora from the above quoted lines.
2) How will the hills laugh?
3) Give an example of personification from the above lines.
c) “The voice of thunder declares my arrival;
the rainbow announces my departure.
I am like earthly life. (3)
1) Give an example from the quoted lines.
2) Justify the fact about rainbow and thunder (In short)
3) What do you understand by earthly life”
d) “.........When I see a field in
need, I descend and embrace the flowers and
the trees in a million little ways.” (3)
1) What do you understand by “in ...Need” ?
2) Define in million little ways’.
3) Who is the poet of the poem?
e) “I am the sigh of the sea;
the laughter of the field;
the tears of heaven. (3)
1) What is sigh here?
2) What is ‘laughter’ here?
3) Give an example of symbolism from the above lines.
f) “So with love –
sighs from the deep sea of affection : laughter from the colourful field of the spirit: Tears from the endless heaven of memories.”
1) What do you understand by ‘affection’?
2) What is the ‘spirit’ here?
3) What is ‘memories’ here?
B) Answer the following questions in about 30-40 words each.
1) Justify the title of the poem. (2)
2) Explain – “All can hear, but only the sensitive can understand”. (2)
3) Explain the last stanza of the poem. (2)
4) Establish “song of the rain” as a nature poem. (2)
5) Give example to the following from the poem. (4)