A. Read the extrtacts carefully and answer the questions.
a) “I came down the steps with my pitcher
and must want must stand and wait, for there he was at the trough before me”. (3)
1) What is implication of the repetition of the word ‘must’?
2) Who is ‘he’ here?
3) What is ‘trough’?
b) “And trailed his yellow browk slackness soft bellred down,
over the edge of the stone trough” (3)
1) Give us the meaning of ‘trailed?
2) What is the implication of a ‘soft belly’?
3) What is the imp0lication of ‘slackness’?
c) “He lifted his head from his drinking, as cattle do,
and looked at me vaguely, as drinking cattle do,
and flickered his two-forked tongue from his lip[s, and mersed a moment. (3)
1) Define line no. one.
2) Define line no. two.
3) What is the meaning of ‘mused’ here?
d) “Being earth brown, earth golden from the burning bowels of the earth on the day of siciliour july, with etna smoking.” (3)
1) Define ‘earth brown’.
2) Define ‘earth golden’.
3) What is ‘Etna’ here?
e) “if you were not afraid, you would kill him” (3)
1) Why would he kill?
2) Was he afraid?
3) What was the overpowering feeling of the author?
f) “And immediately I regretted it.
I thought how paltry, how vulgar, what a mean act” (3)
1) Why did the speaker want to regret?
2) What will the poet not do if he meets the snake again?
3) What are the elements did the poet compare the snake with?
B) Answer the following questions in about 30-40 words each (12)
1) How did the snake drink water?
2) Acquaint us with the dual mind of the poet.
3) What do you understand by ‘voices of education?”
what is the importance of this in the poem?
4) Why did the poet compare the snake with God and king?
5) Acquaint us with the theme of the poem?
6)Evaluate the poem to be reflective poem