A. Read the following extracts carefully and answer the questions
a) “.................I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike”
1) What do you understand by swallow immediately`?
2) What does the poet wants to convey by ‘unmisted`?
3) State a poetic device used in the lines.
b) “It is pink with speckles. I have looked at it so long I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.” (3)
1) What is ‘it` here?
2) what do you understand by ‘speckles`?
3) what does the poet want to convey by ‘flickers`
c) “Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon. I see her back, and reflect it faithfully; (3)
a) Why does the poet refer candles and the moon’ as liars? (In brief)
b) How is the mirror faithful?
c) Why does the woman go to those liars?
d) “In me she drowned a young girl and in me an old woman rises toward her day after day like a terrible fish” (3)
1) What does the poet convey by ‘drowned’?
2) Write down the use of a poetic device in the first line of the extract.
3) What does the poet want mean by ‘rises toward her........?
B. Answer the following questions 6x3=18
1) Establish ‘mirror` to be a melancholic poem.
2) Bring out the idea of parallelism of ‘time` and ‘timelessness`.
3) Why is the woman considered as ‘terrible fish`?
4) How can you accept mirror to be god?
5) Why does the woman go to the liars?
6) How does the mirror deal with the ultimate truth?