SECTION - C
GRAMMAR - 20 MARKS
8. A. Choose the most appropriate option from the ones given below to complete the following passage. Write the answers in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. (½ x8=4 Marks)
A stout old lady was waking _________________1) her basket down the middle ___________________2) a street in Petrograd to the great confusion _______________3) the traffic and with no peril ________________________4) herself. It was pointed out ______________________5) her that the pavement was the place __________________6) pedestrians. But she replied. ‘I am going ___________________________7) walk where I like ________________8) walk
1. i) to ii) for iii) with iv) from
2. i) of ii) on iii) beside iv) for
3. i) for ii) of iii) in iv) among
4, i) to ii) for iii) upon iv) besides
5, i) over ii) for iii) with iv) to
6. i) to ii) in iii) for iv) out
7. i) for ii) to iii) with iv) upon
8. i) to ii) for iii) on iv) from
B. Read the following paragraph and complete it with the suitable option given below.
During the 4th and 5th centuries India __________________________(1) by the Guptas. A deep and wide cultural impact ______________________________(2) by the Guptas in the subcontinent. The infiltration of Sakas and Hunas ____________________________(3) by the Gupta Rulers. During Gupta Rule many books ________________________(4)
1. i) were ruled ii) had been ruled iii) is ruled iv) was ruled
2. i) is left ii) has been left iii) was left iv) are left
3) i) is checked ii) was checked iii) were checked iv) had been checked
4. i) have been composed ii) is composed iii) had composed iv) were composed
A. Edit the following passage .
incorrect word correct word
One of the bad habit is _________ ___________
the use of tobacco. It is now smoke __________ ___________
by men, women and child almost __________ ___________
all over the world. It is brought __________ __________
Into Europe with Sir Walter __________ __________
Raleigh four century ago _________ __________
It have spread every where _________ __________
And was an addiction now __________ ___________
B. Rearrange the following words to make a meaningful sentence.
1) the patient / says / the corner / has / the doctor / turned .
2) they eat / one / a day / as a rule / but / square meal
3) in a state / man / nature / was found / the murdered
4) nose / my affairs / thrust / into / your /do not
C. Read the dialogue and complete the sentences that follow.
Sankar – I think everything in this world is run in perfect balance.
Aman – I do agree, our earth with its favourable weather is perfect for us.
Sankar – Take the example of our habit of eating. We cannot go on eating throughout the day. We must have a balance.
Aman – yes, we need to balance while driving as it is the key to humans.
Ø Now fill in the blanks with the proper words with relevance to the text.
Sankar said that he thought ................(a)
Aman replied in agreement and said that ........................(b)
Sankar further said that .......................................(c)
A man answered in positive and said that .........................................(d)