· Name-Sudha Murthy.
· Full name – Sudha Kulkarni Murthy.
· Born – August 19, 1950 (ages 60), Shiggaon, Karnataka.
· She is a social worker and writer.
· Known for Philanthropic work through Infosys Foundation.
· She is a teacher in Computer Science.
· She is a fiction writer.
· Famous works- “wise and otherwise”, “Dollar Bahu”, Maheswetai” etc.
· Awards- “Raja- Lakshmi Award” (2004),” Padmasri”(2006).
· Full Name – Anusuya Shankar (1928 – 1963).
· Triveni was her pen name.
· A modern reputed Kannada Fiction writer.
· Kashi Yatre - Kashi Yatre is a famous fiction by Triveni. It deals with the Psychological conflict of an old lady.
SOME IMPORTANT THEMES
Importance of Being Literate
This story though reveals a strong realistic picture, is undoubtedly carrying a moral for us. Through the character of the grandmother the importance of learning is highlighted. This shows the degradation occurred in our society, especially in case of women. This story is a vehement supporter of women education.
An Example of Women’s Life
It shows how less important of a woman’s life in our form of society is. They even do not dream of stamping a nail of their recognition in this world. As if they are born to be married, to have children, to take care of them and die. This significantly points at the failures of the policy makers of the nation.
Strong Psychological Emotion
We get in the two places of the story, the embodiment of psychological emotion disclosed by the narrator. In the story “kashi Yatre” the old lady under psychological emotion gives away her everything to the poor girl for her love and peace. Similarly we get an instance of psychological emotion in the narrator’s grandmother, when she finds herself unable to read her favourite serial.
Respect to the Guru
The real philosophical view of teacher student is exposed here. When the old grandmother learnt everything by the deadline, she touched the feet of the 12 year old teacher, the guru. It strongly indicates the position of guru irrespective of age and experience.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SUDHA MURTHY’S STYLE
Love and Human Relationship
Sudha Murthy’s short stories bear the theme of love and human relationship. In “How I ………..Read” also love and human relationship is the recurring idea. In the story “How I ……Read “, the grandmother and the granddaughter bear the theme of love and human relationship.
The fiction hints at some didactic sides of human life and society. We should understand the importance of learning and learning is the only way to freedom. The true development of a country is impossible unless we create an atmosphere of education for the women. A country requires education not arms and ammunition.
· Known a Varanasi, presently in Uttar Pradesh. Present population 1,211,891 (2001).
· Ultimate Punya or salvation means to become free from the worldly life and the cycles of birth and death. Human beings have two components. One spiritual, the soul (atma) and the other material, the body. Although the soul is immortal, one is bound to the body and hence subject to the cycles of birth and death .
Assignment :- (Explain Critically)
· “She bent down and touches my feet. I was surprised and taken aback.”
· “When I came back to my village, I saw my grandmother in tears.”
· “I felt so very independent and helpless”.
· “In the end the old lady gives away all her savings without going to kashi”.
· “For a good cause if you are determined you can overcome any obstacle.”
You may also like-